Woodford, Christ Church, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Woodford Christ Church Cheshire became a parish from the former chapelry of Christ Church in Prestbury parish.
In the early nineteenth century a number of chapels and small churches were built in Cheshire at the instigation of a select committee, which included several leading gentry of the county, called the Cheshire Rural Chapel Society whose aim was to promote the building of chapels in the agricultural districts of the County.
Between 1837 and 1839 it was decided to build the church on waste land on the corner of Old Hall Lane and Chester Road. In 1841 the church was completed. It is of simple design, being built of brick with stone used only for the rectangular, mullioned windows, and other architectural features. A church of almost identical design, but without a tower, was built in 1837 at Handforth. These two were known as the ‘Sister Churches’, and in fact shared the same minister for twenty-six years. However, the old church at Handforth was demolished in about 1898 following the building of the new St Chad’s.
The granting of a license to perform divine services at Christ Church is recorded in the Bishop’s register, 10th Feb 1842. Woodford was still part of the Prestbury parish and therefore only had a priest-in-charge, the Rev Benjamin Mashiter who was also in charge of St Chad’s, Handforth, and he was able to hold services in Woodford church only in the afternoon.
In those days the interior of the church was very bare, the western half of it being filled with forms, and at the west end, in the gallery, stood a small organ.
The second incumbent was the Rev Peter Wild, of Gawsworth, near Macclesfield who, on coming to Woodford in 1868, found the interior far from pleasing, the woodwork decaying, and the foundation of the north-west angle of the building giving way.
In December 1869 renovation began, and Mr. Bromley Davenport of Capesthorne met the cost of this himself. In addition, the church was enriched at this time by the gift of five stained glass windows, and a wealth of carved woodwork planned by Mr. Wild. The woodwork was executed by a Mr. W. Leicester of Macclesfield. In 1870 Mr. Bromley Davenport became patron of the living, and on 29th July 1872 the church was consecrated by Dr. Jacobson, Bishop of Chester. A district chapelry was assigned to the church in 1873, which meant that Christ Church ceased to be a chapel of ease to Prestbury, and Woodford therefore became a separate parish
Prestbury, St. Peter (C of E). The ancient parish church for Woodford; Woodford, Christ Church (C of E), built in 1842 as a chapel to Prestbury, becoming the parish church for Woodford in 1873. Registers of Baptisms 1842–1926, Marriages 1874–1935 and Burials 1848–1922 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. (Microfilm of originals at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England.) Cheshire Record Office call no.: P148/1-3. Baptisms, 1842-1926. Marriages, 1874-1935. Burials, 1848-1922. FHL BRITISH Film 2106684 Items 2 - 4 Bishop's transcripts for Woodford, 1842-1892 Microfilm of originals in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester.
Formerly a chapelry in Prestbury parish. Called Christ Church. Cheshire Record Office: EDB 227 Baptisms, 1842, 1844-1846, 1848, 1850, 1852, baptisms, burials, 1854-1860, baptisms, 1861, baptisms, burials, 1862-1866, 1891-1892. FHL BRITISH Film 1647761 Item 5
Poor Law Unions
- Macclesfield (1837–1939)
- North East Cheshire (1939–74)
- Stockport (post 1974)
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 880 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News