Wyandotte County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wyandotte County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Wyandotte County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1859|
|County Seat||Kansas City|
|Address|| Wyandotte County Courthouse|
9400 State Ave.
Kansas City, Kansas 66112
Wyandotte County Courthouse
710 N 7th Street
Kansas City, KS 66112
City Clerk has birth and death records. Probate Judge has marriage and probate records
Clerk District Court has divorce records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
Name and population (2012 U.S. Census estimate):
147,268 - Kansas City (county seat)
7,419 - Bonner Springs, of which about 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) lies within Leavenworth County
4,377 - Edwardsville
928 - Lake Quivira, of which a quarter of the city lies within Wyandotte County, the majority being in Johnson County
Argentine, formerly a city, annexed by the city of Kansas City in 1910.
Armourdale, formerly a city, consolidated with the city of Kansas City in 1886.
Armstrong, a town absorbed by Wyandotte.
Piper, annexed by the city of Kansas City in 1991.
Rosedale, formerly a city, consolidated with the city of Kansas City in 1922.
Wyandotte, formerly a city, consolidated with the city of Kansas City in 1886.
Cemetery Index - Wyandotte County Historical Museum - Trowbridge Research Library 
- Bonner Springs Cemetery, Bonner Springs
- Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Kansas City
- Edwardsville Cemetery, Edwardsville
- Franklin Cemetery, Kansas City
- Grinter Chapel Cemetery, Kansas City
- Highland Park Cemetery, Kansas City
- Lenexa Cemetery, Lenexa West 87th Place and Pflumm Rd.
- Maywood Church Cemetery, Kansas City
- Mount Calvary Cemetery, Kansas City
- Mount Hope Cemetery, Kansas City
- Old Quindaro Cemetery, Kansas City
- Quindaro Cemetery, Kansas City
- Riverview Cemetery, Bonner Springs
- St. John Catholic Cemetery, Lenexa
- White Church Cemetery, Kansas City
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Kansas City
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Kansas City
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Wyandotte County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
Early migration routes to and from Wyandotte County, Kansas Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
During the Civil War men from this county enlisted in the 1st Regiment Kansas Infantry Volunteers, 1st Regiment Kansas Colored Troops, 2nd Regiment Kansas Infantry, 5th Regiment Kansas Cavalry, 6th Regiment Kansas Cavalry, 10th Regiment Kansas Infantry, 12th Regiment Kansas Cavalry, 15th Regiment, Kansas Cavalry, Company E, and the16th Regiment Kansas Cavalry.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Wyandotte County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Wyandotte and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
Tax List for Wyandotte County - Wyandotte County Historical Museum - Trowbridge Research Library 
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Wyandotte County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wyandotte County, Kansas page 257, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:23.
- This page has been accessed 9,374 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More