101st Regiment, Ohio InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 101st Regiment was organized at Monroeville, Ohio, August 30, 1862. At the end of the war, it moved to Nashville, Tennessee and had duty there till June. The Regiment mustered out June 12, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 101st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 5 September 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 101st Ohio Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Schmutz, George S.History of the 102d Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photo duplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1550208
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 101st (1862-1865).Roster and historical sketch of the 101st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118250
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 20 November 2011).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Green, Charles R., Volunteer Service in Army of Cumberland, Part First, (Olathe, Kansas: C.R. Green, 1913-14), page 8.
- ↑ History of Wyandot County, (Chicago: Leggett, Conaway and Co., 1884), page 457. Internet Archive.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More