116th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 116th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Decatur, Illinois, and mustered in September 30, 1862. They march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19. Grand Review May 24. It mustered out June 7, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Macon and Piatt counties - Macon and Piatt county web sites -
- Company B - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- Company C - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- Company D - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- Company E - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- Company F - many men from McLean County - McLean County web site -
- Company G - many men from Christian and Macon counties - Christian and Macon county web sites -
- Company H - many men from Christian and Shelby counties - Christian and Shelby county web sites -
- Company I - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- Company K - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
- UnAssigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 116th Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News