116th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Lafayette, Indiana, and mustered in for 6 months' service August 17, 1863. It was at Tazewell, Tenneessee January 24. They mustered out February 29 to March 2, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 116th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 55
- Company B - many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 57
- Company C - many men from Fountain County - see Roster on page 58
- Company D - many men from Fountain County - see Roster on page 59
- Company E - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 61
- Company F- many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 63
- Company G - many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 64
- Company H - many men from Warren County - see Roster on page 65
- Company I - many men from Tippecanoe, Boone and Clinton counties - see Roster on page 67
- Company K - many men from White County - see Roster on page 68
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 116th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief with history of the 116th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 116th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More