117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in for 6 months service September 17, 1863. It was at Tazewell, Tenneessee January 24, 1864. They mustered out February 23-27, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 117th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 24 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Hendricks County - see Roster on page 70
- Company B - many men from Hendricks County - see Roster on page 71
- Company C - many men from Morgan County - see Roster on page 73
- Company D - many men from Lawrence County - see Roster on page 74
- Company E - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 76
- Company F- many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 77
- Company G - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 78
- Company H - many men from Jackson County - see Roster on page 80
- Company I - many men from Monroe County - see Roster on page 81
- Company K - many men from Daviess County - see Roster on page 82
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More