123rd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 123rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Mattoon, Illinois, and mustered in September 6, 1862. They moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee., May 23; thence to Nashville and duty there until June 27. It mustered out June 27 and discharged at Springfield, Illinois, July 11, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 396.
- Company B - many men from Cumberland County - Cumberland County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 398.
- Company C - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 400.
- Company D - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 402.
- Company E - many men from Clark and Putnam counties - Clark and Putnam county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 404.
- Company F - many men from Clark County - Clark County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 406.
- Company G - many men from Clark County - Clark County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 408.
- Company H - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 410.
- Company I - many men from Coles and Fulton counties - Coles and Fulton county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 411.
- Company K - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 413.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 6, page 415.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 123rd Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News