124th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 124th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 10, 1862. It mustered out at Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 28, and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, August 16, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Henry County - Henry County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 423.
- Company B - many men from Kane County - Kane County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 425.
- Company C - many men from Jersey and Sangamon counties - Jersey and Sangamon county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 427.
- Company D - many men from McDonough County - McDonough County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 429.
- Company E - many men from Kane County - Kane County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 432.
- Company F - many men from Henry County - Henry County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 434.
- Company G - many men from Mercer County - Mercer County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 436.
- Company H - many men from Kane County - Kane County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 438.
- Company I - many men from McDonough County - McDonough County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 440.
- Company K - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 442.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 6, page 444.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 124th Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News