12th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
(added category, bread crumb, etc)
m (moved 12th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry to 12th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate): to distinguish from Union)
Revision as of 19:39, 28 April 2011
- Organized at Conrad's Store, Virginia, in June 1862, with companies from the 7th Regiment Virginia Cavalry.
- The unit served in W. E. Jones', Rosser's, and J. Dearing's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It fought in Northern Virginia, in the Maryland Campaign, at Brandy Station, then was involved in various conflicts -- in the western part of Virginia. The regiment continued the fight at Bristoe and Mine Run, in the battles around The Wilderness and Cold Harbor, and in Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley.
- During mid--April, 1865, it disbanded.
- Field officers: Colonel Asher W. Harman, Lieutenant Colonels Richard H. Burks and Thomas B. Massie, and Major John L. Knott.
- also called 10th Regiment
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Surname Roster A-B
- Surname Roster C-E
- Surname Roster F-G
- Surname Roster H-L
- Surname Roster M-O
- Surname Roster P-R
- Surname Roster S-V
- Surname Roster W-Z
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News