12th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized at Conrad's Store, Virginia, in June 1862, with companies from the 7th Regiment Virginia Cavalry.
- The unit served in W. E. Jones', Rosser's, and J. Dearing's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It fought in Northern Virginia, in the Maryland Campaign, at Brandy Station, then was involved in various conflicts -- in the western part of Virginia. The regiment continued the fight at Bristoe and Mine Run, in the battles around The Wilderness and Cold Harbor, and in Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley.
- During mid--April, 1865, it disbanded.
- Field officers: Colonel Asher W. Harman, Lieutenant Colonels Richard H. Burks and Thomas B. Massie, and Major John L. Knott.
- also called 10th Regiment
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B (Robert W. Baylor Company - many men from Charles Town, Jefferson County
Company C (John H. Ford Company) - many men from Winchester, Frederick County
Company D (John L. Knott Company) - many men from Shepherdstown, Jefferson County
Company E (James Marshall Company) - many men from New Market, Warren County
Company G (A. Murat Willis Company) - many men from Sperryville, Rappahan County
Company H (Emanuel Sipe Company) - many men from Harrisonburg, Rockingham County
Company I (Thomas Massie Company) - many men from Conrad's Store, Warren County Company J (Israel P. Rinker Company) - many men from Woodstock, Shenandoah County
The information above is from 12th Virgini Cavalry, by Dennis E. Frye.
Surname Roster W-Z
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.