13th Regiment, Indiana CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Kokomo and New Albany, Indiana, December 23, 1863, to April 29, 1864. They mustered out at Vicksburg, Mississippi, November 18, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 2 May 20112).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from [[Huntington_County,_Indiana|Huntington County] ]- see Roster on page 303
- Company B - many men from Floyd and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 305
- Company C - many men from Madison and Jennings counties - see Roster on page 306
- Company D - many men from Floyd and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 308
- Company E - many men from Floyd, Orange, and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 310
- Company F- many men from Orange and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 312
- Company G - many men from Allen, Howard, and Adams counties - see Roster on page 313
- Company H - many men from Lawence, Crawford, and Spencer counties - see Roster on page 315
- Company I - many men from Shelby, Hancock,Rush, and Spencer counties - see Roster on page 317
- Company K - many men from Vigo, and Marshall counties - see Roster on page 319
- Company L - many men from Perry and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 320
- Company M - many men from Clark and Floyd counties - see Roster on page 322
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 324
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 131th Indiana Regimen / 13th Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 31 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 13th Regiments, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 13th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Powell, John W. 1987. History of the Thirteenth Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 1863-1865. (Glen Burnie, MD (237 Glengary Garth, Glen Burnie 21061): J.W. Powell.), 977.2 M2p FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More