140th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (100 days, 1864)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 140th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (100 days, 1864) was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in for 100 days June 18, 1864. It mustered out October 29, 1864. (Volunteered for the defence of Missouri during Price's Invasion.). 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Whiteside County - Whiteside County web site -
- Company B - many men from Whiteside County - Whiteside County web site -
- Company C - many men from Jo Daviess County - Jo Daviess County web site -
- Company D - many men from Macoupin and Whiteside counties - Macoupin & Whiteside county web sites -
- Company E - many men from Lee County - Lee County web site -
- Company F - many men from Mercer County - Mercer County web site -
- Company G - many men from Rock Island County - Rock Island County web site -
- Company H - many men from DeWitt County - DeWitt County web site -
- Company I - many men from Ogle County - Ogle County web site -
- Company K - many men from Madison County - Madison County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More