146th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (1 year, 1864-65)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 146th Regiment, Illinois Infantry ( 1 year, 1864-65) was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in for 1 year September 18, 1864. It mustered out July 5, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Carroll County - Carroll County web site -
- Company B - many men from Winnebago County - Winnebago County web site -
- Company C - many men from Winnebago County - Winnebago County web site -
Winnebago County web site -
- Company D - many men from Lake County - Lake County web site -
- Company E - many men from Stephenson County - Stephenson County web site -
- Company F - many men from Bureau County - Bureau County web site -
- Company G - many men from McLean and Peoria counties- McLean and Peoria county web sites -
- Company H - many men from Bureau County - Bureau County web site -
- Company I - many men from Peoria County - Peoria County web site -
- Company K - many men from Tazewell and Hancock counties - Tazewell and Hancock county web sites -
- Unassigned Recruits
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News