149th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (1 year, 1865)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 149th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (1 year, 1865) was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in for 1 year February 11, 1865. It mustered out January 27, 1866. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site -
- Company B - many men from St. Clair County - St. Clair County web site -
- Company C - many men from St. Clair County - St. Clair County web site -
- Company D - many men from St. Clair County - St. Clair County web site -
- Company E - many men from Vermilion County - Vermilion County web site -
- Company F - many men from Douglas County - Douglas County web site -
- Company G - many men from Morgan County - Morgan County web site -
- Company H - many men from St. Clair County - St. Clair County web site -
- Company I - many men from St Clair and Madison counties - St. Clair and Madison county web sites -
- Company K - many men from St. Clair County - St. Clair County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More