14th Regiment, Connecticut InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at Hartford, Connecticut and was mustered in the 23rd of August, 1862. Before this regiment was mustered out of service May 31, 1865 a few veterans and recruits were transferred to 2nd Regiment Connecticut Heavy Artillery, (9 Mar 2011). 
For more information on the 14th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 13 April 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 14th Connecticut Regiment Infantry, (accesses 28 November 2012).
Regiment History - Page, Charles D., History of the Fourteenth Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, (Meriden, Conn. : The Horton Printing Co., 1906). Available online at Internet Archive, (accessed 9 Mar 2011).
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut:
Company A was largely formed by men from Fairfield County.
Company B was largely formed by men from Middlesex County.
Company C was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Company D was largely formed by men from Tolland County.
Company F was largely formed by men from Hartford County.
Company G - Company G, 14th Connecticut Regiment - Original Photos, History, Biographies
Company H was largely formed by men from New London County.
- Graves of the 14th Connecticut Regiment, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Roster by Name and Roster by Company
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 491. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 566. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 14th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). History and Roster
- Stevens, Henry S., and United States. Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 14th (1862-1865), Address delivered at the dedication of monument of the 14th Conn. Vols. at Gettysburg, Penn., July 3d, 1884, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991). Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082935.
- United States. Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 8th, 11th, 14th and 16th, (1861-1865), Souvenir of excursion to Antietam and dedication of monuments of the 8th, 11th, 14th and 16th regiments of Conn. volunteers, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991). Pref. written by Walter J. Yates. Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082922.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback