14th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment, Illinois Infantry war organized at Jacksonville, Ill., and mustered in May 25, 1861. It mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, September 18, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Cass County - Cass County web site -
- Company B - many men from Shelby County - Shelby County web site -
- Company C - many men from Macoupin County - Macoupin County web site -
- Company D - many men from Green County - Greene County web site -
- Company E - many men from Menard County - Menard County web site -
- Company F - many men from Jersey County - Jersey County web site -
- Company G - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site -
- Company H - many men from Christian County - Christian County web site -
- Company I - many men from Morgan County - Morgan County web site -
- Company K - many men from Scott County - Scott County web site -
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Information about the 14th (Reorganized) Illinois Infantry Regiment can be found at Illinois Civil War Rosters. (Scroll to the bottom of page.)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.