14th Regiment, South Carolina Militia
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 36:||Line 36:|
Revision as of 17:22, 9 April 2011
This unit was listed in Brigadier General John K. Jackson, Brigadier General James H. Trapier's Divison in Jan 1865. It was called to active duty at Branchville, SC, on 5 January 1865, and was moved to Blackville, SC, on 17 January. On 15 February, it numbered about 210 men, and was posted on the western side of the congaree River, near the bridge at columbia, SC, and provided a 50 man detail to guard the Broad River bridge .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Barnwell District - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company B - Barnwell District - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company C - Orangeburg District - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company D - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company E - Orangeburg District - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company F - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company K - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Company Unknown - Roster, (accessed 6 Apr 2011).
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News