14th Regiment Heavy Artillery (African Descent)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment Heavy Artillery (African Descent) was organized at Providence August 28, 1863, to January 25, 1864. It was mustered out at New Orleans October 2, 1865. Many of the men were from Newport County.
For more information see,
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Maine State Archives holds official items from the Civil War in their Archives.
A rare,first edition is available at Between the Covers.com.
Wikipedia article on the 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery (Colored).
Citizens of Color, 1863-1890: Military and Political Participation, Hartford Black History Project.
All Men are Brothers, Tom Brooks.
The Rhode Island 11th United States Colored Heavy Artillery had originally been raised and organized as the 14th Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery.
usgwarchives.net- Rhode Island Archives Military Records. rosters of 14th Regiment RI Heavy Artillery
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)
- ↑ Richard M. Bayles, History of Newport County, Rhode Island, (New York, New York : L.E. Preston, 1888), p. 428. Internet Archive digital version.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More