17th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment (Confederate) was involved in the following battles or localities: Alexandria, Va.; 1st Manassas, Va.; Williamsburg, Va.; Seven Pines, Va.; Frayser's Farm, Va.; 2nd Manassas, Va.; South Mountain, Md.; Sharpsburg, Md.; Fredericksburg, Va.; Drewry's Bluff, Va.; Cold Harbor, Va.; Five Forks, Va.; Sayler's Creek, Va.; Appomattox, Va.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A (Alexandria Riflemen) - many men from Alexandria County
Company B ( Warren Rifles) - many men from Warren County
Company C ( Loudoun Guard) - many men from Loudoun County
Company D ( Fairfax Riflemen) many men from Fairfax County
Company E ( Mount Vernon Guards) - many men from Alexandria County
Company F ( Prince William Rifles) - many men from Prince William County
Company G ( Emmett Guards) - many men from Alexandria County
Company H ( Old Dominion Rifles) - many men from Alexandria County
Company I (O'Connell Guards) - many men from Alexandria County
Company K ( Warrenton Rifles) - many men from Alexandria County
The information above is from 17th Virginia Infantry, by Lee A. Wallace, Jr.
- Muster Roll of the Seventeenth Virginia Infantry, 1861-1865. MSS., Alexandria City Courthouse (Alexandria, Va.). Copy: FHL Film 30204 Item 2.
- Glasgow, William M. Northern Virginia's Own: The 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Confederate States Army. Alexandria, Va.: Gobill Press, 1989. FHL Book 975.5296 M2g.
- Herbert, Arthur. Sketches and Incidents of Movements of the Seventeenth Virginia Infantry Read Before the R. E. Lee camp, C.V., Alexandria, Va. 1909? FHL Film 1550318 Item 41. Another copy: FHL Fiche 6082854.
- Herbert, Arthur. An Address Delivered by Col. Arthur Herbert on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Occupation of Alexandria by the Federal Troops, May 24, 1861. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1911. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Fiche 6082853.
- Hunter, Alexander. Johnny Reb and Billy Yank. New York: The Neale Publishing Co., 1905. Digital version at Google Books; FHL Fiche 6082855 (8 fiche).
- Wallace, Lee A. 17th Virginia Infantry. Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990. FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 67.
- Wise, George. History of the Seventeenth Virginia Infantry, C.S.A. Baltimore, Md.: Kelly, Piet & Co., 1870. FHL Fiche 6082856 (4 fiche). Reprint: FHL Book 975.5 M2wg.
- ↑ Arthur Herbert, An Address Delivered by Col. Arthur Herbert on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Occupation of Alexandria by the Federal Troops, May 24, 1861 (Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1911). FHL Fiche 6082853.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News