19th Battalion, Virginia Heavy Artillery (Atkinson's) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:13, 30 October 2010 by Randlepandle
- Organized in June, 1862, with four companies, later increased to five.
- April 1862, men from the United Light Artillery were transferred to the artillery and assigned to the 19th Battalion Virginia Artillery.
- This unit was attached to the Department of Richmond and served throughout the war defending the city.
- It was also active at Drewry's Bluff, in the Petersburg siege north of the James River, and around Appomattox.
- Many were captured at Sayler's Creek, and 1 officer and 44 men surrendered on April 9, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel John W. Atkinson and Major N. R. Cary were in command.