19th Battalion, Virginia Heavy Artillery (Atkinson's) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:31, 30 October 2010 by Randlepandle
- Organized in June, 1862, with four companies, later increased to five.
- April 1862, men from the United Light Artillery were transferred to the artillery and assigned to the 19th Battalion Virginia Artillery.
- This unit was attached to the Department of Richmond and served throughout the war defending the city.
- It was also active at Drewry's Bluff, in the Petersburg siege north of the James River, and around Appomattox.
- Many were captured at Sayler's Creek, and 1 officer and 44 men surrendered on April 9, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel John W. Atkinson and Major N. R. Cary were in command.
Field and Staff
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News