1st Battalion, Pennsylvania Infantry (6 months, 1863-1864)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg June and July, 1863. It mustered out January 9, 1864. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Gibbs, James M. "History of the First Battalion, Pennsylvania Six Months Volunteers, and the 187th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Six Months and Three Years Service, Civil War, 1863-1865" (Harrisburg, Pa: Central Print. and Pub. House], 1905). Google Books. Internet Archives. FHL Film 1550250. Other libraries .
- This page was last modified on 4 January 2013, at 02:34.
- This page has been accessed 334 times.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on our new look!Give Feedback