1st Regiment, South Carolina State TroopsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Joseph H. Crute, Jr.'s book, "Units of the Confederate States Army", contains no history for this unit. Footnote.com lists this regiment being in service for 6 months from 1863 to 1884 but gives no history. There are soldier service records for those whose names began with E-Y. Soldiers whose names start with A-D may be listed with the First Regiment Charleston Guard.
This regiment most likely transferred into another regiment or was combined with another regiment to create a new regiment. Looking at the service records of the soldiers may give clues to the different regiments they may have served in. A possible unit to look at is 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Reserves (90 Days 1862-63).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Anderson District/County - Roster
- Company B - Roster
- Company C -Anderson District/County - Roster
- Company D - Roster
- Company E - Greenville District/County - Roster
- Company F - Abbeville District/County - Roster
- Company G - Laurens District/County - Roster
- Company H - Greenville District/County - Roster
- Company I - Roster
- Company K - Roster
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Footnote.com (a subscription website) has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- 1st South Carolina Infantry State Troops from The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources, accessed 11/20/2010.
- First (1st) Regiment South Carolina State Troops website, accessed 11/22/2010. This site lists the rosters for this Regiment.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Internet site, accessed 12/06/2010. Lists officers and dates. It also suggests that Company A comes from Oconee County and that Company I refused to enter Confederate service.
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 & 65. Lists officers, companies, and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. There are 10 Companies (A-I, K) listed.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News