20th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Joliet, Illinois, and mustered in June 13, 1861. It mustered out July 16 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, July 24, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site -
- New Company A - many men from Will County - Will County web site -
- Company B - many men from Will County - Will County web site -
- Company C - many men from McLean County - McLean County web site -
- Company D - many men from Livingston County - Livingston County web site -
- Company E - many men from DeWitt County - DeWitt County web site -
- Company F - many men from Will County - Will County web site -
- Company G - many men from Kankakee County - Kankakee County web site -
- Company H - many men from LaSalle and Putnam counties - LaSalle and Putnam county web sites -
- Company I - many men from Iroquois County - Iroquois County web site -
- Company K - many men from Kendall and Will counties - Kendall and Will county web sites -
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 20th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News