21st Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized in August 1862, with companies that had served in the Virginia State Line.
- The unit was assigned to W. E. Jones' and McCausland's Brigade, and in April 1864, it contained 317 effectives.
- It took an active part in various conflicts in East Tennessee, western Virginia, and in the Shenandoah Valley.
- During mid-April, 1865, the regiment disbanded.
- Field officers: Colonel W.E. Peters, Lieutenant Colonel David Edmundson, and Major Stephen P. Halsey.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Field & Staff
- Company A
- Company B
- Company C
- Company C 2nd
- Company D
- Company D 2nd
- Company E
- Company E 1st
- Company E 2nd
- Company F
- Company G
- Company G 2nd
- Company H
- Company I
- Company I 2nd
- Company K
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News