25th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Evansville, Indiana, and mustered in August 19, 1861. They mustered out July 17, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 25th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 25th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Posey County - see Roster on page 563
- Company B - many men from Vanderburgh County - see Roster on page 566
- Company C - many men from Vanderburgh and Posey counties - see Roster on page 568
- Company D - many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 570
- Company E - many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 573
- Company F - many men from Posey County - see Roster on page 575
- Company G - many men from Jackson County - see Roster on page 577
- Company H - many men from Warrick County - see Roster on page 579
- Company I - many men from Warrick County - see Roster on page 582
- Company K - many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 584
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 586
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 25th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- List of Indiana Civil War regiment (accessed 13 Dec 2010) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana