26th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 26th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 31, 1861. It moved to Louisville, Ky., June, and duty there until July. It mustered out July 20, and discharged at Springfield, Illinois, July 28, 1865. .
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Effingham County - Effingham County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 356-358.
- Company B - many men from Stephenson County - Stephenson County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 359-362.
- Company C - many men from Bond County and Mercer County - Bond and Mercer county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 362-364.
- Company D - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 365-367.
- Company E - many men from LaSalle County - LaSalle County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 367-370.
- Company F - many men from Champaign County and Madison County - Champaign and Madison county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 370-373.
- Company G - many men from Edwards County and White County - Edwards and White county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 373-376.
- Company H - many men from Stephenson County - Stephenson County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 376-379.
- Company I - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 379-381.
- Company K - many men from McLean County and DeWitt County - McLean and DeWitt county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 382-385.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 385.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 26th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- 26th Illinois Infantry Regiment, Three Year Service, August 31, 1861 - July 20, 1865,web site, has histories and company rosters.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More