29th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 29th regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 19, 1861. They had duty at Millican, Hempstead, Brenham and Beaumont, on Texas Central R. R. until November and Mustered out November 6 and discharged from service November 28, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Hardin County - Hardin County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 447-448.
- Company B - many men from Alexander County, Hardin County and White County - Alexander, Hardin and White county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 449-451.
- Company C - many men from Gallatin County - Gallatin County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 451-453.
- Company D - many men from Gallatin County, Sangamon County and White County - Gallatin, Sangamon and White county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 453-455.
- Company E - many men from Saline County and Williamson County - Saline and Williamson county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 455-456.
- Company F - many men from Pope County - Pope County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 457-458.
- Company G - many men from White County and Gallatin County - White and Gallatin county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 458-460.
- Company H - many men from Edgar County and Massac County - Edgar and Massac county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 460-462.
- Company I - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 462-463.
- Company K - many men from Massac County - Massac County web site - Roster, vol. 2, pages 465-466.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, page 466.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 29th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More