29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
=== Other Sources ===
=== Other Sources ===
Revision as of 22:38, 18 January 2011
Organized at Laporte, Indiana, and mustered in August 27, 1861.
Garrison duty at Marietta and Dalton, Georgia, till December. Mustered out December 2, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Officer with Staff - see Roster
Company A - many men from Steuben and Greene County - see Roster on page 655
Company B - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 658
Company C - many men from LaPorte County - see Roster on page 661
Company D - many men from Fulton and Knox County - see Roster on page 663
Company E - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 665
Company F - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 668
Company G - many men from Floyd Country - see Roster on page 533
Company H - many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 535
Company I - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 537
Company K - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 539
Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 541
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 31 Dec 2010) several company "F", "G", "H", "K", small part was of St Joseph country. On page 721 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More