29th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Laporte, Indiana, and mustered in August 27, 1861.
Garrison duty at Marietta and Dalton, Georgia, till December. Mustered out December 2, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Steuben and Greene Counties - see Roster on page 655
- Company B - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 658
- Company C - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 661
- Company D - many men from Fulton and Knox Counties - see Roster on page 663
- Company E - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 665
- Company F - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 668
- Company G - many men from La Porte and St. Joseph Counties - see Roster on page 671
- Company H - many men from Fulton and Miami and St. Joseph Counties - see Roster on page 672
- Company I - many men from Marshall and Porter Counties - see Roster on page 675
- Company K - many men from St. Joseph and Marshall Counties - see Roster on page 677
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 541
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 29th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Martin, Hiram H., "Service Afield and Afloat: A Reminiscence of the Civil War", (ed. Guy R. Everson, Indiana Magazine of History 89, no. 1 (March 1993): 35-56). 1861-1864, LaPorte County (LaPorte), 29th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. G Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 11 Apr 2011)
- Traub, John, "Letters of John Traub, Twenty-Ninth Indiana Infantry" ,(ed. Paul Fatout, Indiana Magazine of History 53, no. 2 (June 1957): 171-174.) 1862-1863 ,unknown,29th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- O'Connor, Cathy L., and Timothy Edward Howard. Every Name Index to A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana, Volumes One & Two, by Timothy Edward Howard, (1907. Edwardsburg, Mich: Cathy L. O'Connor, 2007.) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 other libraries Google books (accessed 11 Apr 2011)
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military Record" Chapter 25 in Packard, Jasper. 1976. History of LaPorte County, Indiana, and its townships, towns and cities. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.),(page 333-338; Regiment,Companies, Name's)977.291 H2p FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other librariesFamily History Archives
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More