2nd Regiment, Indiana CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, September 20, 1861, as 2nd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry. Mustered out July 12, 1865 at Nashville, Tennessee.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Carroll County - see Roster on page 273
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 297
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 275
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 297
- Company C - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 277
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 300
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 279
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 301
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 280
- Company F - some men from Wabash County - see Roster on page 282
- Company G - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 284
- Company H -no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 286
- Company I - many men from Sullivan County - see Roster on page 288
- Company K - men - from different counties - see Roster on page 289
- Company L - many men from Fayette Country - see Roster on page 291
- Company M - many men from Eikhart Country - see Roster on page 292
- unassiged recuits - see Roster on page 294
- unassiged recuits from Reorganized Soldier - see Roster - on page 302
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 41th Regiment/ 2nd Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site..
- Company D - many men from Delaware County 
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 2nd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 2nd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- Shelly, Joseph Frederick, "The Shelly Papers", (ed. Fanny Anderson and trans. Sophie Gemant, Indiana Magazine of History 44, no. 2 (June 1948): 181-198.) 1862-1863, LaPorte County (Michigan City) ,41st Indiana Volunteer Infantry, 2nd Calvary, Co. B Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "The Civil War of 1861" Chaper 12 in Kemper, G. W. H. 1908. A twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana. (Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co.) (page 378, Regiment, Companies, Name's), 977.265 D3k v. 2 FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collection other libraries Vol. 1 Family History Archives Vol. 2 Family History ArchivesINTERNET ARCHIVE
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback