2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
(fixed category and added references)
m (moved 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery to 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery (Confederate): to distinguish from Union)
Revision as of 00:13, 29 April 2011
The 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery was organized in February, 1862. It was formed of ten companies for twelve months. Commander: Colonel Robert Tanaill
- Co. A
- Enlisted January 14, 1862, for one year
- Reorganized May 23, 1862, subsequently becoming Company A of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry
- Captains: Lawson M. Burfoot, Thomas E. Burfoot.
- Co. B
- "The Charlotte Chesterfield Artillery." - recruited from those counties
- Enlisted on December 31,1861 for one year
- Reorganized May 19, 1862, into Company B of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Captain Armistead W. Baily.
- Co. C
- "The Southside Artillery." or "Chesterfield Artillery," from Chesterfield County
- Organized January 7, 1862.
- Enlisted for the war's duration on June 3, 1862, and became Captain John W Drewry's Company of Virginia Artillery.
- Captains: Augustus H. Drewry, James B. Jones, John W. Drewry.
- Co. D
- Enlisted on January 20, 1862 for one year
- Reorganized May 24, 1862 as Company D of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Captains: James T. Alexander, William G. Jackson.
- Co. E
- Enlisted January 20, 1862 for one year under Captain Samuel F. MeGehee
- Reorganized May 23, 1862 to become Company E 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- C0. F
- "The Lynchburg Rebel Artillery" lynchburg County
- Enlisted January 25, 1862 for one year under Captain Samuel W. Hawthorne
- Reorganized June 5, 1862 to become Captain Corelius Tacitus Allen's Company F of the Virginia Artillery.
- Co. G
- Enlisted January 23, 1862, for one year under Captain James C. Johnson
- Reorganized May 31,1862 as Company G 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- (Remarks on the rolls of the 9th Virginia Militia's Company A form February 28, 1862 show the names of twenty two men "transferred to Captain Johnson's Company on February 5, 1862.")
- (Remark on the rolls of the 87th Virginia Militia's Company D show the names of twenty one men "transferred by order of General Magruder to Johnson's Voiunteer Company on February 5, 1862.)
- Co. H
- Enlisted February 4, 1862, for one year under Captain William W. Crosby
- Reorganized May 19, 1862 as Company H Virginia Battalion
- Captain: William S. Crosby, John S. Bowles.
- Co. I
- Enlisted February 4, 1862, under Captain F.H.Farrar
- Evidently broken up during that May, by implementation of the "Conscription Act
- Members then reenlisting in other Companies: forty two man ended up in Company G of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Co. K
- Enlisted February 7, 1862, for one year under Captain James C. Hane.
- Disbanded in May of 1862 due to the Conscription Act and assigned to Company A of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Co. A
The regiment was broken up about May 23, 1862, by operation of the Conscription Act. Companies A, B, D, E, G and H were reorganized and formed the 22nd Bn. Va. Inf. Companies C and F were reorganized and became independent artillery companies. Companies I and K were disbanded and the re-enlisted men were assigned to other companies, principally to Co G and A of the battalion of the infantry.
Other Source Material
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More