2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 2nd Regiment, Virginia Artillery was organized in February, 1862. It was formed of ten companies for twelve months. Commander: Colonel Robert Tanaill
- Co. A
- Enlisted January 14, 1862, for one year
- Reorganized May 23, 1862, subsequently becoming Company A of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry
- Captains: Lawson M. Burfoot, Thomas E. Burfoot.
- Co. B
- "The Charlotte Chesterfield Artillery." - recruited from those counties
- Enlisted on December 31,1861 for one year
- Reorganized May 19, 1862, into Company B of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Captain Armistead W. Baily.
- Co. C
- "The Southside Artillery." or "Chesterfield Artillery," from Chesterfield County
- Organized January 7, 1862.
- Enlisted for the war's duration on June 3, 1862, and became Captain John W Drewry's Company of Virginia Artillery.
- Captains: Augustus H. Drewry, James B. Jones, John W. Drewry.
- Co. D
- Enlisted on January 20, 1862 for one year
- Reorganized May 24, 1862 as Company D of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Captains: James T. Alexander, William G. Jackson.
- Co. E
- Enlisted January 20, 1862 for one year under Captain Samuel F. MeGehee
- Reorganized May 23, 1862 to become Company E 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- C0. F
- "The Lynchburg Rebel Artillery" lynchburg County
- Enlisted January 25, 1862 for one year under Captain Samuel W. Hawthorne
- Reorganized June 5, 1862 to become Captain Corelius Tacitus Allen's Company F of the Virginia Artillery.
- Co. G
- Enlisted January 23, 1862, for one year under Captain James C. Johnson
- Reorganized May 31,1862 as Company G 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- (Remarks on the rolls of the 9th Virginia Militia's Company A form February 28, 1862 show the names of twenty two men "transferred to Captain Johnson's Company on February 5, 1862.")
- (Remark on the rolls of the 87th Virginia Militia's Company D show the names of twenty one men "transferred by order of General Magruder to Johnson's Voiunteer Company on February 5, 1862.)
- Co. H
- Enlisted February 4, 1862, for one year under Captain William W. Crosby
- Reorganized May 19, 1862 as Company H Virginia Battalion
- Captain: William S. Crosby, John S. Bowles.
- Co. I
- Enlisted February 4, 1862, under Captain F.H.Farrar
- Evidently broken up during that May, by implementation of the "Conscription Act
- Members then reenlisting in other Companies: forty two man ended up in Company G of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Co. K
- Enlisted February 7, 1862, for one year under Captain James C. Hane.
- Disbanded in May of 1862 due to the Conscription Act and assigned to Company A of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry.
- Co. A
The regiment was broken up about May 23, 1862, by operation of the Conscription Act. Companies A, B, D, E, G and H were reorganized and formed the 22nd Bn. Va. Inf. Companies C and F were reorganized and became independent artillery companies. Companies I and K were disbanded and the re-enlisted men were assigned to other companies, principally to Co G and A of the battalion of the infantry.
Other Source Material
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback