33rd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 33rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. It mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865. Organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. Mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company D - many men from Christian and Sangamon counties - Christian and Sangamon county web sites -
- Company K (Bateman Rifles) - many men from Cass and Morgan counties - Cass and Morgan county web sites -
- Unassigned Recruits -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 33rd Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More