33rd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 33rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. It mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865. Organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in September 3, 1861. Mustered out November 24 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois, December 6, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 33rd Regiment, Illinois see the following:
- Wikipedia (accessed 26 July 2011) An article and links for the 33rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive (accessed 26 July 2011) Brief history of the 33rd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company C - many men from McLean and Cook counties - McLean and Cook county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 621-624.
- Company D - many men from Christian and Sangamon counties - Christian and Sangamon county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 624-628.
- Company E - many men from Bureau and Knox counties - Bureau and Knox county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 628-631.
- Company F - many men from Morgan and Scott counties - Morgan and Scott county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 632-635.
- Company K (Bateman Rifles) - many men from Cass and Morgan counties - Cass and Morgan county web sites - Roster, vol. 2, pages 645-649.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 2, pages 649-650.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 33rd Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- Burnham, J. H. The Thirty-Third Regiment Illinois Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865. (Springfield? Ill: Illinois Historical Society, 1912).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084225. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- Way, Virgil Gilman, and Isaac H. Elliott. History of the Thirty-Third Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 22nd August, 1861, to 7th December, 1865. (Gibson City, Ill: The [Regimental] association, 1902). FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M25w. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- Elliott, Isaac H. History of the Thirty-Third Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 22nd August, 1861, to 7th December, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084228
- Elliott, Isaac H., Way, Virgil G., History of the thirty-third regiment Illinois veteran volunteer infantry in the Civil War, 22nd August, 1861, to 7th December, 1865. (Gibson City, Illinois : Regimental Association, 1902) FHL book 977.3 M25w
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:33.
- This page has been accessed 3,268 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News