34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 07:04, 7 December 2010 by Ccsmith
- AKA - Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles*
- Formerly the 1st Battalion Virginia Mounted Rifles, was organized in December, 1862.
- The unit served in A.G. Jenkins', W.E. Jones', V.A. Witcher's, and B.T. Johnson's Brigade and first engaged the Federals in western Virginia. It had a force of 172 men at Gettysburg, returned to western Virginia, then was involved in operations in East Tennessee.
- During April, 1864, it contained 222 effectives, saw action at Piedmont, and served with Early in the Shenandoah Valley.
- The 34th disbanded at Lynchburg in April, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel Vinson A. Witcher, and Majors John A. McFarlane and William Straton were in command.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News