39th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized with two companies, later increased to four.
- It was attached to General Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, and served as General R. E. Lee's personal cavalry command.
- The unit participated in every engagement at which General Lee was present from Fredericksburg to Appomattox.
- On April 9, 1865, it contained 1 officer and 80 men.
- Major John H. Richardson was in command.
- Also called Richardson's Battalion of Scouts, Guides, and Couriers.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed December 2010).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News