3rd Battalion, South Carolina ReservesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Joseph H. Crute, Jr.'s book, "Units of the Confederate States Army", contains no history for this unit. This regiment most likely transferred into another regiment or was combined with another regiment to create a new regiment, or is another name for an existing regiment. Looking at the service records of the soldiers may give clues to the different regiments they may have served in.
According to the Eastern Digital Resources Internet site, this Battalion was organized for service in 1864. It was made up of mostly boys from the age of 16 to 17. Most of the officers were older men. In viewing some of the different databases it looks like the men of this Battalion served in serveral other different Regiments. View the rosters for references to other Regiments the soldiers may have served in.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Some Rosters have only a few names:
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- "SC 3rd Battalion Reserves". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/01/2010. Lists References.
- "South Carolina Reserve Battalions". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson's Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. This website lists officers of the regiment and some brief information about the battalion.
- "Third (3rd) Battalion of State Troops-Senior Reserves", Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. Lists the six companies, counties and rosters.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News