3rd Regiment, Indiana CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Right Wing (Cos. "A," "B," "C," "D," "E" and "F") was organized at Madison, Indiana, August 22, 1861, for 1st Cavalry. They mustered out August 7, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 26 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Regiment Indiana Cavalry, (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Reorganized Officer - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Switzerland County - see Roster on page 387
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 409
- Company B - many men from Harrison County - see Roster on page 388
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 410
- Company C - many men from Switzerland County - see Roster on page 390
- Company D - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 391
- Company E - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 392
- Company F - many men from Union County - see Roster on page 394
- Company G - many men from Johnson County - see Roster on page 395
- Company H - many men from Clinton County - see Roster on page 397
- Company I - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 399
- Company K - many men from Switzerland County - see Roster on page 401
- Company L - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 401
- Company M - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 403
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 405
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 45th Indiana Regiment/ 3rd Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 3rd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wilipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Article on the 3rd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 3rd Indiana Cavalry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- Beck, E.W.H., "Letters of a Civil War Surgeon" ( Indiana Magazine of History 27, no. 2 (June 1931): 132-163.) 1861-1864, Carroll County (Delphi), 2nd Brigade, 3rd Indiana Calvary, Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 4 Apr 2011)
- Pickerill, William P. History Of The Third Indiana Cavalry Volume 3, Part 4. (Aetna Printing Co. Indianapolis 1906). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084349 (3 fiche) FHL1550208 Google Books INTERNET ARCHIVE
- McCain, Warren. A Soldier's Diary, or, The History of Company L, Third Indiana Cavalry / By Warren McCain. Indianapolis: (William A. Patton, 1885.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084348 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries