3rd Regiment, South Carolina InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Infantry Regiment was organized at Columbia, South Carolina, in April, 1861. It was mustered into service June 6, 1861 and reorganized in May 1862. This Regiment contained men recruited in the counties of Laurens, Colleton, Pickens, Spartanburg, and Newberry. It surrendered on April 26, 1865.
Service records of soldiers listed on Footnote.com state that about April 9, 1865 the 3d Regiment SC Infantry was consolidated with the 8th Regiment South Carolina Infantry, the 3rd Battalion South Carolina Infantry and part of Blanchard's SC Reserves to form the new 3rd Regiment, South Carolina Infantry. This regiment surrendered and was paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina on May 2, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The 2nd listed rosters contain only a couple of names.
- Company A (also known as The State Guards or Staten Guards) - Laurens County - Roster
- Company B (also known as Williams Guards) - Newberry County - Roster, Roster
- Company C - Prosperity (also known as Frog Level and Pickens Guards), Newberry County - Roster
- Company D - Cross Anchor, Spartanburg County - Roster
- Company E (also known as Quitman Rifles) - Newberry County - Roster, Roster
- Company F - Newberry County and Laurens County - Roster, Roster
- Company G (also known as Lurens Briars) - Laurens County - Roster
- Company H - Lexington County - Roster, Roster
- Company I - Clinton, Laurens County - Roster
- Company K - Spartanburg County - Roster
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- "South Carolina Civil War Rosters". Access Genealogy Internet site, accessed 12/17/2010. Lists the company officers and gives the rosters for each company.
- "South Carolina 3rd Infantry Regiment Volunteers". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/01/2010. Lists a brief Regiment History and the rosters for the Companies B, E, F, and H.
- "Third South Carolina Infantry". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson's Internet site, accessed 12/02/2010. This website lists the counties and nicknames of the companies. It also lists officers of the regiment and companies; and battles the regiment was involved in.
- The 3rd South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment, by Mac Wyckoff at eHistoryArchives, an Internet site, accessed 12/03/2010. Site contains a history, a list of companies officers and sources.
- The Stoddard Family Letters. Internet site, accessed 12/27/2010. Letters concerning the 14th South Carolina Regiment (also the 3rd & 24th Infantry Regiments).
- Everson, Guy R. and Edward H. Simpson, Jr., editors. Far, Far from home: The Waretime Letters of Dick and Tally Simpson, 3rd South Carolina Volunteers. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994. Google Books.
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 & 65. Lists officers, companies, some nicknames for the companies and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. There are 10 Companies (A-I, K) listed.
- Salley, Alexander Samuel. South Carolina Troops in Confederate Service, Vol 2 (The State Co., Columbia, SC 1930) This volume covers the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th infantry regiments. Digital copy at Internet Archives. Book at Other Libraries
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More