3rd Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Alexandria and Dumfries. Companies recruited men from Prince William, Fauquier, Stafford, Louisa, Fairfax, King George, Loudoun and Culpeper Counties. Field officers were Colonel William Heth, Lt. Colonel Charles Flemming, and Major Charles West.
- Company - Captain David Arell
- Company - Captain Valentine Peyton
- Company - Captain John Blackwell
- Company - Captain Philip R.F. Lee
- Company - Captain John Peyton
- Company - Captain Robert Powell
- Company - Captain Reubin Briscoe
- Company - Captain John Mercer
- The information above is from 3rd Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-8
- Lieutenant Nathaniel Anderson of Albemarle County
- Cecere, Michael. They Behaved Like Soldiers: Captain John Chilton and the Third Virginia Regiment, 1775-1778. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2004.
- ↑ "3rd Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va3.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "John Peyton, son of Craven Peyton, of Loudoun County, was an officer in the Revolutionary army, and during the war was sent to Fluvanna County to purchase supplies. Three nephews, sons of his brother Valentine, joined him there, Craven, Robert and John." See Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 295.
- ↑ Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News