4th Regiment, New Hampshire InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 4th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry was organized at Manchester and mustered in on the 18th of September, 1861. The length of service was for 4 years. They were mustered out on August 23, 1865. 
For more information about the 4th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry and its history, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 July 2012).
- Elias A. Bryant, The diary of Elias A. Bryant of Francestown, N.H. : as written by him while in his more than three years' service in the U.S. Army in the Civil War, Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1991. Available at the Family History Library, FHL 6083283 - 3 fiche. Elias A. Bryant started as a private and was later promoted to Principal Musician of the 4th New Hampshire Infantry Regiment during the U.S. Civil War.
- 4th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry - from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Includes service, casualties, commanders, etc.
- Fourth New Hampshire Regiment Rosters, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). This is not a complete roster.
- New Hampshire Infantry Page, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). New Hampshire Heritage
- John G. Hutchinson,Roster, Fourth Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers, Manchester, New Hampshire, 1896. Online book available at Internet Archives, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also found on microfiche at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083284.
- Company A - many men from Strafford County - AGR roster, page 264. Roster
- Company B - many men from Hillsborough County, Rockingham County and Strafford County - AGR roster, page 268 . Roster
- Company C - many men from Hillsborough County and Rockingham County - AGR roster, page 272 . Roster
- Company D - many men from Belknap County, Carroll County and Merrimack County - AGR roster, page 274. Roster
- Company E - many men from Hillsborough County, and Merrimack County - AGR roster, page 278. Roster
- Company F - many men from Strafford County - AGR roster, page 282. Roster
- Company G - many men from Hillsborough County and Strafford County - AGR roster, page 286 . Roster
- Company H - many men from Rockingham County - AGR roster, page 290 . Roster
- Company I - many men from Merrimack County, Rockingham County, Hillsborough County and Grafton County - AGR roster, page 294 . Roster
- Company K - many men from Rockingham County and Hillsborough County - AGR roster, page 296 . Roster
- Unassigned Recruits - AGR roster, page 300. Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records,
- Footnote.com, (accessed 1 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Civil War in the East, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 4th New Hampshire Infantry Regiment.
- New Hampshire. Adjutant General's Office, Civil War Oaths, 1861-1865, Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library FHL US/CAN Film 983230.
- Otis F.R. Waite, New Hampshire in the Great Rebellion, Claremont, New Hampshire: Tracy, Chase & Co., c1991. See page 215. Available online with Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also found at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2w. This book shows a list of the field, staff and company officers, and the official record of each.
- Augustus D. Ayling, Adjutant General, Revised register of the soldiers and sailors of New Hampshire in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866, Concord, New Hampshire : Ira C. Evans, 1895. Available at Internet Archives, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also found at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M23nh, or FHL US/CAN Film 1697872, Item 1-2. Book that contains a good summary of each New Hampshire regiment. Also contains alphabetical that list the birth place, age or enlistment, place of residence at the time of enlistment.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News