53rd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Ottawa, Illinois on January 1862. It mustered out on July 22, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on the history of the 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 23 Dec 2010) article on the 53rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 53rd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
BOOKS & FILMS
- Randstead, H. E. and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 53rd. A True Story and History of the Fifty-Third Regiment, Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry its Campaigns and Marches, Incidents that Occurred on Marches and in Camp. What Happened to Some of its Members and What Became of Others. Short Stories of Marches and How the Army Lived.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084252. Other libraries with this book. Google Books.
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 53rd. Cogswell Battery Artillery (1861-1865). Semi-centennial oster, 1865-1915, Cushman's Brigade Souvenir Mustered Out at Louisville, Ky., July 22, 1865 : Fifty Years Afterward. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Fiche 6084250. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1488453-1488677.