58th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 58th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois on February 11, 1862. The regiment served duty at Montgomery and in the District of Alabama until April, 1866. It mustered out on April 15, 1866.
For more information on the history of the 58th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 23 Dec 2010) article on the 58th Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 23 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 58th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
br> The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters website. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
CONSOLIDATED 58TH REGIMENT
On 23 January 1865 orders were given to consolidate the 58th Regiment into 4 companies. Rosters for these consolidated companies can be found on the Adjutant General's Report, viewable on the Internet Archives web site, Vol. 4 pages 111-133.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 58th Regiment (accessed 18 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 54th-58th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488475. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Wood, John and Illinois. Quartermaster General's Dept.; Illinois. General Assembly. Abstracts of Issues to Fifty-third, Fifty-fourth, Fifty-sixth, Fifty-seventh, Fifty-eighth, Sixtieth, Sixty-fourth and Sixty-fifth Regiments of Infantry. (Springfield, Ill. : Baker & Phillips, Printers, c1865.) Other libraries with this book. Report of the Quartermaster General of the State of Illinois.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More