59th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Gosport and Indianapolis, Ind., February 11, 1862. At Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Kentucky, June, and there mustered out July 17, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Owen County - see Roster on page 673
- Company B - men from Owen, Hendricks, and Morgan Counties - see Roster on page 675
- Company C - many men from Sullivan County - see Roster on page 677
- Company D - little amount of cities or no counties given - see Roster on page 680
- Company E - many men from Greene and Decatur Counties - see Roster on page 681
- Company F- many men from Orange and Crawford Counties - see Roster on page 684
- Company G - men from Putnam, Clay, Morgan, and Vigo Counties - see Roster on page 686
- Company H - little amount of cities or no counties given - see Roster on page 688
- Company I - little amount of cities or no counties given - see Roster on page 689
- Company K - many men from Harrison County - see Roster on page 691
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 59th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 13 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 59th Regiment, Indiana.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana