5th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (12 months, 1861-62) (Mullins') (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
5th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Provisonal Army) was organized near Norfolk, Virginia, in July, 1861. In May, 1862, three companies were assigned to the 14th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Burrough's), and seven companies merged into the 16th Battalion Virginia Cavalry. Majors Benjamin Allston and John Mullins were in command. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The men were recruited at Petersburg and in the counties of Princess Anne, Sussex, Surry, Prince George, Nansemond, and Southampton.
Headquarters - Roster
Company B - (Captain Frederick R. Windsor's Troop) - many men reenlisting from other units from South Carolina, Georgia and Louisiana - Roster
Company E (King & Queen Cavalry) - many men from King & Queen County- Roster
Company K (Captain Charles Pannill's Company) - many men from Petersburg, Virginia
Winfield's Company - Roster
The information above is from 5th Virginia Cavalry, by Robert J. Driver, Jr
- 5th Cavalry (12 mo. '61-62) has rosters for the companies and headquarters staff.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 4 January 2011).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:29.
- This page has been accessed 2,483 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News