5th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 5th Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Richmond County Courthouse. Companies recruited men from Lancaster, Richmond, Northumberland, Spotsylvania, Westmoreland, Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Bedford and Loudoun counties. Staff officers were Colonel Josiah Parker, Lt. Colonel Abraham Buford, Major Thomas Gaskins, and Major David Stephenson.
- Company - Captain Henry Fauntleroy
- Company - Captain William Fowler
- Company - Captain William Mosby
- Company - Captain Andrew Russell
- Company - Captain Samuel Colston
- Company - Captain Gross Scruggs
- Company - Captain Ralph Falkner
- Company - Captain John Anderson
- The information above is from 5th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-8
- Captain Peter Minor of Albemarle County
- Lieutenant Lipscomb Norvell of Albemarle County
- Lieutenant Robert Breckinridge of Augusta County, was imprisoned at Charleston, S.C.
- Captain Burgess Ball of Lancaster County, later Lt. Col. of 1st Virginia Infantry
- ↑ "5th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va5.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- ↑ Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367-368.
- ↑ Joseph A. Waddell, Annals of Augusta County, Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Wm. Ellis Jones, Book and Job Printer, 1886), 178.
- ↑ "A Guide to the Ball Family Papers, 1650-1864," Library of Virginia, Accession No. 18770A, http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docId=lva/vi01103.xml;query=;brand=default, accessed 23 January 2012.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More