63rd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 63rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Dubois, Anna, Illinois and mustered in on April 10, 1862. The regiment moved to Louisville, Kentucky on June 3-6 and mustered out on July 13, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 63rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 63rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
• The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 63rd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Richland County - Richland County web site -
Company B - many men from Edwards County - Edwards County web site -
Company C - many men from Richland County - Richland County web site -
Company D - many men from McLean County - McLean County web site -
Company E - many men from Richland County - Richland County web site -
Company F - many men from Franklin County - Franklin County web site -
Company G - many men from Crawford County - Crawford County web site -
Company H - many men from Macon County - Macon County web site -
Company I - many men from Richland County - Richland County web site -
Company K - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 63rd Regiment (accessed 18 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 54th-58th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 148877. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News