68th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 68th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Camp Butler on June 16, 1862. The regiment was moved to Camp Butler, Illinois on September 17-21 and mustered out September 27, 1862.
For more information on the history of the 68th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 68th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 68th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Morgan County -
Company B - many men from Pike County -
Company C - many men from Coles County -
Company D - many men from Fayette County -
Company E - many men from DeWitt County -
Company F - many men from McLean and Boone counties -
Company G - many men from McLean County -
Company H - many men from Logan County -
Company I - many men from Macon County -
Company K - many men from assorted counties -
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 68th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 65th-75th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488477. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.