69th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 69th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at New York and mustered in November 18, 1861. It was assigned at various times to various places and commands. The regiment mustered out June 30, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 69th Regiment Infantry "1st Regiment Irish Brigade", (accessed 9 August 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 69th Infantry Regiment (New York) , (accessed 9 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Campany A - principally recruited at New York City
Campany B - principally recruited at New York City
Campany C - principally recruited at New York City
Campany E - principally recruited at New York City
Campany G - principally recruited at New York City
Campany H - principally recruited at New York City
Campany I - principally recruited at New York City
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Bilby, Joseph G.The Irish Brigade in the Civil War : the 69th New York and other Irish regiments of the Army of the Potomac. (Conshohocken, Pennsylvania : Combined Pub., c1997, 1998)FHL Book 973 M2bib
- Conyngham, D. P. (David Power,. The Irish Brigade and its campaigns : with some account of the Corcoran Legion and sketches of the principal officers. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978) FHL Film 1036141 Item 16 and (Gaithersburg, Maryland : Butternut Press, [198-?]) FHL Collection
- Corcoran, Michael. The captivity of General Corcoran : the only authentic and reliable narrative of the trials and sufferings endured, during his twelve month's imprisonment in Richmond and other Southern cities. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083739
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hayes, William J.The Civil War service death and family heritage of Dennis Doyle. (New York, New York : W.J. Hayes, 1971) FHL Book 929.273 D773h
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Mahon, John. New York's Fighting Sixty-Ninth : a regimental history of service in the Civil War's Irish Brigade and the Great War's Rainbow Division. (Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Co., c2004) FHL Book 974.7 M2mn
- McLaughlin, James H.; Haggerty, James. James Haggerty of Tír Conaill, Irish patriot - American hero : on the occasion of the unveiling of a memorial, First Calvary Cemetery, Woodside, New York, May 30, 1992. (New York, New York : [County Donegal Association of New York?], 1992) FHL 921.73 H122m
- Meagher, Thomas Francis.The last days of the 69th in Virginia : a narrative in three parts. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083742
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Root, William Francis Stanton.The 69th Regiment in peace and war : historical, biographical, statistical. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083743
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 69th (1861-1865). Official souvenir book and history : Sixty-Nineth Regiment N.G.N.Y. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083738
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News